I have a lot to write about today but I know you’re all on tenterhooks to hear how my driving is going so I will tackle that first, I am sure I have made ALL your Sundays!
Today I returned for yet more driving theory classes, I have now completed 1,2,3,4,7 and 8 and on Tuesday I will do 5 and 6 which I am sure you will all agree is totally logical and sensible way of doing things!
Lessons learned today:
1) Rain will confuse people here and when a video was shown of it one woman said it was madness to drive in such weather! It was a video of drizzle…
2) A presentation should be littered with spelling mistakes and should also be displayed skewiff…
3) Lorries are large, you can imagine my surprise!
5) In Dubai some people will put a load on a Lorry and not secure it and so debris falls down, apparently this is a CONSTANT hazard…8 months and I have never seen it…can’t help but feel this was maybe a tiny exaggeration!?
6) Wales is in Australia! There was a slide about an accident that happened in Wales, but the teacher announced ‘this accident didn’t take place in Dubai but in Australia’. I just decided to let that go but really however he made that error I will never know!!
I was luckily not the only person slightly baffled by these classes. We had a newcomer today who can drive but needs a Dubai licence. He frequently said things like ‘But that shouldn’t happen because he is in the wrong lane’ or ‘But I would have right of way in that instance’. Oh how we laughed, poor man, such rules do not apply here in Dubai! I imagine he hasn’t been on the roads much here!
Today I also booked my first practical class which will take place on Tuesday, I will be collected from my building and taken to the class and then dropped to work. Naturally there was an additional charge for this! Hopefully this will all work out and I will have more to tell you about the mystical ways of learning to drive in Dubai…I can imagine you can’t wait!